SOUTH MOUNTAIN CROSSFIT
THIS PLACE WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE
Athlete of the Month:
Melissa “Missy” Smith
This month we have chosen to highlight one of our SMCF OGs, Missy Smith! Missy started her CrossFit career back in 2011 when CrossFit 610 was open. She has since made a transition to focus on her weightlifting, mobility, and healthy eating. You can find her working her tail off in suite 400 in a regular basis. She is a staple in our community and is always willing to lend a helping hand. Here’s a little more about Missy!
1. How long have you been CrossFitting? I have been doing crossfit since I received a Groupon gift from a friend in December 2011.
2. What is your favorite WOD/Movement? Well, anyone who knows me would know it has to be a movement that involves a barbell. It is a toss up between the snatch and OHS so I love it when my program or a wod has both movements in it. (Hint to my wod).
3. Least Favorite? When you have a crashing run in with a box, it is pretty easy to make box jumps your least favorite movement.
4. Favorite cheat meal? Pizza or Nachos —depends on the day
6. What is your favorite CrossFit/SMCF memory? I have so many CF memories and have met so many great friends through crossfit. If I had to narrow it down to one memory, it would have to be doing Murph in a thunderstorm in a park before SMCF opened. It was also the night I got my first pull ups. But honestly, to do a hero wod in the pouring rain caused great reflection and admiration for our troops. Court, Jag and Fox, do you remember this memory? There are pictures floating around of this wod.
7. Best Advice for CrossFit newbies? Listen to your coaches and ask questions when you don’t understand something, need a modification or need assistance with selecting the correct weight. With my knees, I often need to modify and the coaches have been a great resource to ensure that I get a good workout in. Also, I have learned the importance of mobility so I encourage everyone to make sure they focus on mobility too!